Fall Newsletter - 2016
Wow !!! What a busy summer!! How come summer goes so fast and January AND February go sooo slow?? (unless you are a snowbird!) Hope you are enjoying the last days of summer!
Here are some updates…
Venetian Festival was a GREAT success!! It looks like we netted $20,000!! A huge thank you to Sherry Teldaldi and Ken Trester for co-chairing, all of the hardworking captains that helped things run so smoothly and the volunteers who make this all possible!! I continue to hear great comments from people that loved it!! Give yourselves a big pat on the back for doing such a sterling job!!
If you didn’t get chance to attend The Waypoint Big Lake Classic, which we co-sponsored, it was a very fun event!! We sold raffle tickets and I couldn’t believe all of the FISH!!! The results are posted on our website! Congrats to the winners and all that participated. The Classic donated $2,000.00 and 250 pounds of fish (which we hope to use for a fish fry) to Cow Hill.
A big thank you to Rosemarie Turewicz and Jim Scott (two of our members) for working the door All Day at The Saugatuck/Douglas Antique Show at Beery Park. We received the proceeds from the door which was $2,000. What a generous donation!! Thanks to the Antique show…
It’s Almost time for Chili Cook-off!!!
- Sunday October 9th - 1PM – 5PM
- Parking lot by Wick’s Park
- Delicious Chili’s from local eateries ( several new restaurant entries!)
- Admission - $5.00 …..Children free!!
- Rock Shop will provides the music (Rock on!)
Here are some requests we filled recently…Good things keep happening! WE had a Honda car donated to The Club by a generous woman, who had heard about what we do from her neighbor Tracy Marciniak. Within a few days, I had a request from a young woman(who was referred by one of our members) who car had died. She was a college student and her funds were very limited. She was doing an internship in GR in nursing and desperately needed a car in order to finish her course of study. We hooked them up together and approved some repairs on the car and she is on the road again!!! She was sooo appreciative!!!
- We provided 60 book bags and binders with school supplies for some children in need to start school in style, with what they needed.
- We provided underwear and socks for about 300 children in Allegan county, so they could start school with new “undies” WE worked with Christian Neighbors and Community Church of Douglas on this project. We packed new clothes for children from 75 families.
- We provided school shoes and clothes for three children, who were in desperate need.
- We fixed a car for a widowed mother of three, who needed it to get to work and for transportation for her children.
- We donated $1,000. To the Fire Department to help pay for a “Jaws for Life” for the community.
- We donated $1,000. to the City of Saugatuck for Holiday Lighting. We really appreciate all of their assistance in helping our events run smoothly.
Please mark your calendar……
- October 9th Sunday - Chili Cook-Off
- October - Star of Saugatuck Cruise (date to be determined)
- November 5th Saturday – Change of Watch Dinner – Spectators .. 6:00PM -Cocktails – 7:00PM - Dinner
- December 10th Saturday - Christmas Giving/Wrapping Party -..We will be needing elves to go and shop for presents for our adopted families…More details soon!!!
That’s it for now…I am blessed to be a part of this group..Over and out……Jude
Hello All…Hope you are enjoying this beautiful summer in “The Mitten”
Here are a few updates.. and info on upcoming events!!
SAUGATUCK VENETIAN FEST!!!
FRIDAY JULY 29th – SUNDAY JULY 31ST
It is almost time for the BIG event!! The Pirates and Vikings will be invading soon…. So get ready!!! For all of the info regarding Venetian check out the website www.saugatuckvenetianfest.org Here is an overview of the events…
- Friday – July 29th
- 80’s Dance invasion – Coghlin Park
- 5:00 PM – Concert tent opens ($5.00 per adult)
- 5:00-7:00 PM – Children’s Games and Face Painting
- 6:00PM – 10:30 – Food and Bar OPEN
- 9:00 PM – Pirate Costume Contest
- 7:15 – 11:00 PM - “STARFARM” Dance to the 80’s !!
- Saturday – July 30th
- 10:00 AM – Art Fair …..Downtown Saugatuck
- 11:00 – 12:00 PM – Registration for the Dinghy Poker Run -Gazebo Coghlin Park
- 12:00 – 3:00 PM - Dinghy Poker Run Coghlin Park/ Kalamazoo River
- 9:15 – 10:00 PM Lighted Boat Parade - Vikings/Pirates
- 10:00PM FIREWORKS!!!!!!!!!!
HOPE TO SEE ALL OF YOU MATEYS THERE …….ARGGH!
This year we are co-sponsoring THE 2016 HUMMINGBIRD CANNON SUAGATUCK BIG LAKE FISHING CLASSIC!!!! The event runs the weekend of August 5th through August 7th in Saugatuck. Please check out the information on this event on our website. There are registration form and all of the information you will need to participate. This event has been in existence for 23 years and draws fisherman from all over! It is quite an EVENT!!! The tournament supports five classrooms participation in “Salmon in the Classroom” which is a year long project for 6th graders. They set up aquariums with salmon in the classroom as a “hand on” learning experience. The classrooms are located in Saugatuck (2), Hamilton (1), Holland (1) and Byron Center(1). The Tournament and The Saugatuck Charter Boating Association take the students out fishing (about 100 kids) in May as part of the classroom project. The fish caught that day (and it was amazing how many they caught!) are cleaned and cooked for lunch. As part of our educational goals, we jointly provided with Huntington Bank and The Tournament fishing poles for each student. They were thrilled with the whole experience!!!!! We will be selling 50/50 raffle tickets for the event!!
Star of Saugatuck Cruise was a great “FUNraiser” !! The weather was beautiful..food delicious and smiles all around. A huge Thank You to Marilyn Starring for her generous donation of the lovely boat and Janet Schmidt for organizing the cruise! A great addition to the fun was a raffle, which everyone enjoyed. The cruise made $1,290. which included a generous $400. donation.
The annual Golf Outing was also a great success! Even though the weather was a challenge, you can’t keep a good golfer down! A Big thank you to Steve Phelps and Rick Thompson for co-chairing and to Cathy Collins for gaining prizes for the raffle! Thanks to all of the volunteers who helped! The food was good as always ..Thanks to The VanScheltema’s and The Phelps for sharing their culinary skills! We made $3,500 on the event, thanks, in part to a very generous $1,000. Donation from Clearbrook Golf Club! A super time was had by all!!
Thanks to Tracy Marciniak for organizing The Fourth of July Parade…
We have filled a number of requests this past month including a woman who was brutally attacked with acid by her ex-boyfriend and has lost about 80% of her sight and a disabled woman whose truck needed repair work, so she could continue to be somewhat independent.
Over and out…Enjoy every minute!! JUde